skip to main content

Work Permits in Elk Grove Unified School District

All high school students under the age of 18 years old in California must obtain a work permit in order to be employed.  In EGUSD, students must sustain a grade point average of 2.0 or better (and have no F grades in the prior term) and have a positive attendance history.  Once the eligible student obtains a job, the following procedure is followed:
To obtain a REGULAR WORK PERMIT the student must:
  • Complete the “Work Permit Application” available in the school office or download from CDE’s website (.doc)
  • Obtain signatures from employer and parent/guardian
  • Submit completed application to the main high school office for review
  • Allow for processing, approval and completion of work permit (approximately 48 hours)
  • After receiving the work permit, provide original copy to employer
  • Renew work permit prior to expiration date following the same process each year
To obtain an ENTERTAINMENT WORK PERMIT the student/parent must:
  • Obtain an “Application for Permission to Work in the Entertainment Industry” available at the local Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE) office or download directly from DLSE’s website.
  • Complete the front side of the form and sign in ink
  • Submit completed application to the main high school office for review
  • Allow for processing and completion of form (approximately 48 hours)
  • After receiving completed application from the high school, submit the application and required documents to the DLSE directly for approval.
To obtain a work permit during the summer:
The same process is followed for obtaining work permits during the summer months.  
Monday – Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (Closed on Fridays)
Answers to commonly asked questions:
  • The hours a student may work vary according to age.
  • Schools have the right to reduce or restrict hours and/or type of employment in order to support the education, health, and safety of the student.
  • A social security number is required on the application or it will not be processed.
  • Middle school students in need of work permits must obtain permits from the high school to which their middle school feeds.
  • Students from other districts, private schools, or out-of-state schools will not be issued permits from EGUSD.
  • Minors who have graduated from high school no longer require work permits.
  • Students who reach 18 years of age while still in high school do not require work permits.
  • A work permit is required for each employer for whom a minor student is employed.
  • A work permit can be revoked if it is determined that the employment is interfering with the student’s education, the conditions of the permit are being violated or it is determined that a student is performing duties or is in conditions that have been deemed unsafe.
  • Work permits are NOT issued from the Trigg Center/District Office at any time, however, if additional support is needed, please contact (916) 686-7709

Work Permit (Students) Board Policy/Work Permit (Students) Administrative Regulation